Tuesday, April 29, 2008

First day of class: Check!

We had our first day of actual May Term classes today. We went from about 9 am to 3:30. We got a break at 10:30 am and an hour and a half for lunch. We spent most of the morning going over the syllabus and the topics for which each class member is responisble. We also went over some of the minor aspects of the trip, such as making sure there were enough Tube passes, and theatre tickets. We also talked about rain and packing.

After lunch we watched a movie about the development of the English language which I found really interesting. The movie talked about the different dialects found in England, how the language changed overallby the influences of the Vikings and the Normans.

Next we were scheduled to watch a movie of Jane Austen's novel Persuasion, mostly because it takes place in Bath, but we convinced Dr. Scholtz to let us watch The Reduced Shakespeare Company, Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged!). :-D It was very much made of awesome!

Afterwards I went to Wal-Mart with Tim and Sarah V. (some England trip classmates) and I got some more last-minute things that I needed.

Now I'm in the library and I'm about to make a powerpoint about the Tower of London. w00t.

I don't exactly know what the weather is going to be like in England, but right now, Iowa weather is very lame.

0 comments: