Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Time is fleeting...

So tomorrow our class leaves for England. AH! :-D I'm really excited! I mean, I'm not looking forward to the 8+ hour plane ride, but I'll have my iPod. I'm glad I'm not prone to motion sickness.

But yeah.... Tomorrow we leave... For me, it's kind of weird to think about. It's finally here! I mean, I know some of my classmates get antsy with these classes that last from 9am to 3:30 in the afternoon, but if that's all I have to do? Compared to what I had to do last semester, a Mayterm class for approx. 5 1/2 hours that consists of listening to/giving presentations, watching movies or just discussing stuff about this trip... I'll take it! And tomorrow we leave....

Sorry... I've typed that a couple times now... :-)

We had a brief discussion about Jane Austen's Emma today... I don't really like that character, but I seem to be the only one in the class who holds this opinion. Which is fine, but I'm having problems understanding WHY people like her so much. The things this character does just frustrate me! I want to ask Emma WHAT where you thinking?! I'm much more of a Fanny Price, Elizabeth Bennet fan...

We watched the old old old 1939 version of Wuthering Heights today in class. With Laurence Olivier.... It was interesting to say the least.... Olivier was nice to look at, but the rest was... Odd... But I think I'm the only one who is bothered by this. I suppose this comes from being spoiled by movies today, where they strive for historical accuracy. The novel is set around 1801 and then it features several flashbacks to 20 years prior etc... And everyone in the movie was definitely dressed in fashion akin to the American South. There were various other bothersome points that render it inaccurate for the time period, such as the music played at the parties, and the style of dances, but whatever. I'm really anal about this topic.

Tonight I need to sort through my suitcase to make sure I have everything ready to go and study for my test over everything important that has ever happened in England.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! My name's Katie and I'll be a 1st year at Wartburg this fall. I'm pretty sure we met a few weeks ago in band while I was visiting. (I play french horn) Anyways, I'm very interested in going on this trip, hopefully my senior year, so it'll be great to hear all that you have to say about the trip!
Have a great time in England! --Katie

Sarah said...

Yay! Welcome to my blog! :-) Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm sure this trip is going to be amazing! :-D