Thursday, May 8, 2008

Greetings from Bath!

Hello Everyone! I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while, it's been quite busy... We have been traveling almost all day but I'll being with yesterday....

Yesterday was our given free day and my free day was a day well spent! :-)
At 10 am Megan, Sarah V, Tim and I went to Harrods and got depressed at looking at all the ridiculous prices... My favorite section was housewares just because it didn't seem so ridiculous as the price of their clothes.

After Harrods we walked up and down Knightsbridge Street looking for a place to grab lunch... We ended up getting it from this place called Costa which is like a sandwich/coffee place. With our food we walked to Hyde Park and had a little picnic. It was fantastic. I don't know if anyone had been following the London weather, but it's been Sunny and in the upper 70s almost since we've been here. I am quite pink with a London sunburn, of all things. :-P During our picnic we had a lot of fun watching all the people exercise their dogs. There were about 5 Labs running around playing together and it cute. :-)

After lunch we walked up to the Serpentine Lake and watched a goose eat a stick. I'm not joking! It was a goose. And a stick. And the goose was eating it. I took a picture. After THAT we got some ice cream and rented a paddle boat and cruised the lake for a bit.

Then.

It was Doctor Who time.

Oh my goodness the exhibit was AMAZING! I took lots of pictures and a couple videos which I will post when I get back to my computer.

It was kind of an adventure getting there because the directions on the website said to take Earl's Court and so I did... But that brought me to the back of the building and I ended up going into reception to ask where to buy tickets.... And then when I walked to the front of the building, which was like an entire BLOCK, there was another tube station.... Brompton. (LAME!) So then I walked in managed to find out where tickets were sold and buy one. (It was really confusing...but I made it. There were no signs so I almost ended up registering for a convention for something... Haha!) Tickets were only £9 (about $18 USA) and it stared with the first season, with Christoper Eccelston.

I walked down these stairs and I heard Rose's voice echoing down this hall and it was dark and it looked like a storage room... And Rose asked ''It's there anyone mucking about?'' and I turned the corner and there were AUTONS! It was so cool! As you walked past some of them moved and they had a little TV playing the part of the first episode with Rose in the basement (which was where the sound was coming from.)

The whole exhibition was Fan-tast-ic! They had the creepy Robot Santas and a Racnoss and a Carrionite and a Weeping Angel, a TARDIS, K-9 and DALEKS! I have a good video of me freaking out about the Daleks.... Because they surprised me.... The whole exhibit was amazing and I'm really glad that I got a chance to go, but I wish the Rachel's would have come. I did have some fun randomly chatting with some of the Brits who were there. :-)

Oh, and there some interactive buttons... I was too scared to do the one by the Slitheen, but it turned out to be a fart button. Haha, silly me.

I had a grand old time at the gift shop as well.... I bought Doctor Who UNO cards. :-D Life is good! Among other things.... :-)

Then I went back to the hotel and did some laundry which was an adventure in itself. Some of my clothes smelled so bad, because it's been so hot!

Then a couple of us went to Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner, because it's cheap and fast. Then I went to....

LORD OF THE RINGS the MUSICAL! AHHH!!!!

Oh, my goodness! It was SO amazing! Like the stage was a giant turntable, inside a turntable, inside a turn table, broken up into sections of individual hydraulics. And there was a pre-show of all the Hobbits dancing and singing like they were at Bilbo's party already... etc.... It was in 3 act, one for each book. I bought the soundtrack. I don't have a lot of time to write about it here, but I hope to eventually. I sat next to a very nice man at the show and we had a nice chat during the intermission (which they call the 'interval'.)

Today we left London and made our way to Chawton and saw Jane Austen's house where she wrote almost all her novels. They had costumes from Sense and Sensibility there, which was cool. I bought the soundtrack to the long A&E version! :-)

Then we went to Winchester and visited Jane Austen's grave and now we are in Bath and we had Chinese Takeaway for dinner. It was really good.

I'm writing this from a grubby cafe in Bath... I hope to write again in a day or so.

I miss you all! I hope everything is going great!

0 comments: