In Cambridge we got into our bed and breakfast. Some when to find a Internet cafe. Some chilled in their rooms. Some went and bought food. I wrote postcards and tried to journal and we watched Britain's Got Talent which was awesome and fun to watch. The Brits are a lot harsher to the contestants compared to America.
The next day we all got up and put on our clothes that smelled the least and ate breakfast and then walked to church at King's College. It was another very high church service, although this time they provided a copy of the sermon so you could follow along... I watched Dr. Scholtz correct the grammar. Haha!
After church we had a bit of free time to grab some lunch. There happened to be a market going on nearby, so some of us went there. I had some delicious Chinese and I ate it as I pursued the different stalls. There was one selling all kinds of different breads, another selling bags of various sizes made out of hemp, and there were lots of jewelery, antique, pottery and woodworking booths. They had a good day for it too. It was sunny and not too hot. Nothing really struck my fancy so I didn't get anything.
At 1pm we met up with our tour guide, Nancy and she took us around the Cambridge Campus. We saw a statue of King Henry VIII that was holding a chair leg instead of a scepter, like it was supposed to... (A student prank that the college gave up on trying to correct.) Also, in the cobblestones outside the statue there's a rock that's from Norway, which was cool too. We also saw an apple tree that was a cutting from the famous apple tree of Sir Isaac Newton. We saw the fountain where Lord Byron supposedly went swimming with his pet bear and the famous gate to the Divinity school where graduates walk out of when they have finished their time at that particular college. We toured around some more and saw a gate dedicated to Lady Margaret Beaufort, (King Henry VIII's grandmother) which was decorated with a portcullis and a Tudor Rose.
During our tour we also saw some Morris Dancers and that was cool! I had been keeping an eye out for them the whole trip, and I was happy to finally see them.
I liked Cambridge a lot better than Oxford. It seemed more easy going. That also could be because we didn't get to see much of the inside of the college, due to the fact that it was time for exams.... So there was less opportunity for the students to stare at us and make us feel awkward...
After our tour we went punting again. This time Dr. Scholtz hired someone to punt for us and we all went in a big boat. The sky had clouded over by now so it was a little chilly. Our punter was amusing and he sang and added commentary to the landmarks around us. He also told off other people who where doing their own punting and that was amusing too. He took us up and down the river and showed us the underside of what was once an old watermill. He held the boat steady with his punting pole under the building, just before the water fell down into the rest of the mill and we could look up a little hole in the brickwork ceiling. It was really neat... After we figured out what he was doing... At first we were afraid that we were going to get soaking wet.
After we were done punting we were free to do whatever we wished. I went with Mary-Kate and Stephanie to find an Internet cafe. On our way I stopped at a shop that was selling Cambridge-themed stuff. I bought a woolen scarf from Selwyn's College, which is red with gold stripes and it looks very much like a Gryffindor scarf.
That night we bought some snack food from a small store across the street from our B&B and journaled and watched Britain's Got Talent.
Saturday, May 24, 2008
May 18th
Posted by Sarah at 11:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment